Monday, January 12, 2009

Padres in Beantown

My parents had been planning to come visit me in Boston and thought the fall would be the perfect time. Their timing couldn't have been better since I got an offer for a job back in Dallas and moved one week after their visit. Yes, spoiler alert: Elizabeth ends up moving back to Dallas.

My parents arrived on a Friday afternoon, back in September. I met them outside the subway station and we walked the three blocks to my apartment. In the pouring rain. You know the drill by now--if someone came to visit me, it poured rain. We grabbed a quick lunch so I could go back to work and Mom and Dad could dry out.

Friday night, I introduced my parents to the awesomeness of Cafe Jaffa. I'm craving it now just thinking about it. We then hung out in my apartment and rested up for our big Saturday.

We started Saturday off with the Freedom Trail and Dunkin Donuts. And as expected, my mom read Every. Single. Plaque. But it was fun and I actually learned a few new things.

for the kindergarten teacher in our group



in the Granary Cemetery



Mom posing with her people--the Irish. Dad doing what he does in every picture I take--not smiling.



moon shoes make the Freedom Trail more enjoyable



where it all began



street art



Bobby was actually able to come visit again and he got to Boston on Saturday afternoon. So we picked Bobby up at the subway station and went to dinner at the Barking Crab.







We went to my church on Sunday morning. But not this one.



Smiley and Not So Smiley on the T



walking around Boston







with more of her Boston people



smiles squared



There are usually little old Italian men playing on these bocce courts.



gelato!













Part Two coming tomorrow.

5 comments:

Megan said...

It looks like a great visit, and I loved the spoiler alert. If course the gelato pic with your brother is classic.

Anonymous said...

Your mother takes after her father!!! When were young, on EVERY vacation, trips to grandmothers house, aunts, uncles, etc., EVERY where we drove we stopped at EVERY, SINGLE, HISTORICAL MARKER!! Out in the middle of no where, just stuck up on the side of the road, we all piled out of the car to let dad read to us about what happened there a million years ago. Wouldn't trade it for the world!!!She comes by it honestly Elizabeth.
Looking forward to "the rest of the story"!
Kathy

Lydia said...

What? You moved back? I just can't keep up with you! I can't wiat to see if you took your parents to the Communist pub and spotted Ben Affleck!

Jennifer said...

How many times did you walk the Freedom Trail? Did you tell them about the General and his "ladies"?

Anonymous said...

I know that you're aware of this fact, but, OMG, I. Love. Your parents. Special thanks to D. and P. Austin!!!

And, yeah, that pic of you and Bobby with the gelato... classy. ;)